Barber Half Dollar (1892 to 1915)
The Barber Half Dollar was coined at the US Mint from 1892 to 1915. In 1890, Mint Director James P. Kimball secured the needed legislation specifying that from that point forward, coin designs could be changed administratively after being in use for a minimum of 25 years. This design was one of three new coins to be released in that year, and was designed by Charles E. Barber.
The dime and quarter designs are identical to the half dollar. The obverse shows a bust of Liberty similar in style to that of the Morgan
Silver Dollar but facing right. She is wearing a Liberty cap topped with a laurel wreath, and a ribbon ties her hair in the back of her neck. The inscription above reads "IN GOD WE TRUST" and the date is found below. Six stars on the left and seven on the right represent the original thirteen colonies.
The reverse was inspired by the Great Seal of the United States of America. It depicts an eagle with spread wings, holding an olive branch with thirteen leaves in its right claw and a bundle of thirteen arrows in its left. The eagle carries a ribbon with the motto "E PLURIBUS UNUM" in its
beak and thirteen stars are in the
These silver half dollars are rarely
seen in bags of junk silver coins, but
on occasion they pop up in older
Designer: Charles E. Barber
Weight: 12.50 grams
Comp: 90.0% Silver, 10.0% Copper
Barber Half Dollar to Half Dollars
Back to Coin Collecting Homepage